The Greater New York Councils of the Boy Scouts of America is relocating from the Empire State Building to The Interchurch Center at 475 Riverside Drive.
Safe Harbour Real Estate Group announced that the Councils of the Boy Scouts that serves the New York City area will occupy 21,000 s/f at the Interchurch Center, a 600,000 s/f office building adjacent to Barnard College that opened in 1957 as a venue for youth and community groups of all denominations.
Built for the exclusive use of 501 (c) (3) organizations, the building was designed to provide affordable accommodations that would allow non-profit groups to focus their resources on their respective missions. The full-service building — managed by Newmark Knight Frank — provides office space, meeting rooms and amenities for conferences and programs for employees and is currently home to over 70 organizations, ranging from Bike New York to the Children’s Aid Society.
Angelo Grima, managing member of Safe Harbour Real Estate, represented the tenant. The landlord was represented in house.
“The Scouts were looking to expand to larger space and the Interchurch Center was able to both accommodate their expansion needs and offer tailor-made space that will facilitate the Councils’ work with the hundreds of Scout packs operating packs in New York City.
“475 Riverside Drive is in a prime location near Columbia University and numerous public transportation options and the Interchurch Center is a landlord who will also be a partner to the Boy Scouts as they continue their work educating and empowering young boys and girls in New York City.”
In January, the GNYC Council of the Boy Scouts became one of the first in the nation to begin recruiting girls, the largest policy shift in the organization’s over 100-year history.