By Holly Dutton
One week after the boom of a construction crane snapped at the ultra-luxurious One57 site, leaving it to dangle precariously over 57th Street following Hurricane Sandy’s brutal winds, it was finally secured.
Robert Limandri, Commissioner of the New York City Department of Buildings (NYDB), said in a statement released Sunday that the tower crane boom had been fortified.
News cameras were fixed on the crane after reports that it had partially collapsed high above 57th Street Oct. 29.
The Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY) released a statement Monday afternoon, with more details about the surrounding area affected by potential danger presented by the dangling boom.
“With the completion of safety operations all remaining unoccupied buildings are being released from the safety evacuation zone,” REBNY explained in an e-mail to members. “Businesses and retail occupancies can reopen as well and all sidewalks will be open to pedestrians.”
The organization added that crews were working to restore gas and steam connections to buildings in the area, and some customers on West 57th between 6th and 7th avenues may not have service for a few days.
Extell Development said in a statement Tuesday that LendLease “took all recommended measures to position the crane in anticipation of a hurricane” and the preparations were inspected and approved by the NYDB.
The company said they partnered with Extell’s construction team, the FDNY, OEM, DOB and other city agencies to plan a recovery procedure to secure the crane.
“As soon as the Fire Department deems it safe, that procedure will begin,” said the statement.
According to the NYDB, numerous complaints have been filed against the Extell site since it first went under construction in 2009.
With the exception of two complaints filed since Monday, all are listed as “resolved.”
After a complaint was filed on Oct. 29, the same day the crane collapsed, the department completed an inspection on Nov. 4 and instituted a stop work order on the building, which was rescinded the next day.
A partial stop work order was instituted by the department on Nov. 5 following a complaint filed on the same day regarding safeguarding persons and property at the site.
The complaint is listed as resolved, and “Stop all crane work and maintain 20 foot exclusion zone around crane mass on floors 48-roof,” was listed under the comment section of the complaint.
The latest complaint, filed Tuesday morning, said the crane was still not secure, and “on a tiny platform.” As of press time no disposition had been filed and the complaint was still listed as active, according to city records.
The most recent complaint before the hurricane, which is now listed as resolved, was filed on Sept. 21. It said a site safety manager reported “a crane leaked oil onto the roof of adjacent building.”
The highly anticipated luxury building overlooking Central Park will top out at 90 stories when completed.
An unidentified buyer recently signed a contract estimated between $90 million and $100 million for a 10,923 s/f penthouse on the 89th and 90th floors.