CNY GROUP, LLC (CNY) has completed the restoration of the 300-year-old stone retaining wall at the Trinity Church, a National Historic Landmark in Lower Manhattan.
CNY served as general contractor for the project, restoring the stone retaining wall on both the southern and western street exposures of the 300-year-old graveyard.
CNY commissioned X-rays of the burial ground adjacent to the church to establish the specific location and relationship between underground crypts in order to install new soil anchors that serve to fortify the wall restoration, cemetery stones and existing wall stones.
All of the stones positioned in the wall were photographed and numbered prior to removal, allowing CNY to accurately match the exact color specifications of the replacement mortar, wall stones and materials.
CNY’s project team organized a comprehensive site logistics program to manage daily street and sidewalk activities, and to organize the closings of the busy MTA subway station entrance along Broadway and Rector Street.
CNY was able to successfully conduct its project activity between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on weekdays by closely co-ordinating project work with the 9/11 Memorial,The Department of Homeland Security, the New York City Police Department and the New York City Department of Education.
Trinity Church, designed by Richard Upjohn in 1846, remains a classic example of Gothic Revival architecture.
The land surrounding the Church was first purchased from the Church of England in 1696 and received its charter from King William III in 1697.
In the years since, a number of notable historic figures including Alexander Hamilton, Robert Fulton and Captain James Lawrence have been interred at Trinity Church Graveyard.