New York City’s top retail transactions of 2015 are racing head-to-head to win the Real Estate Board of New York’s (REBNY) Retail Deal of the Year competition.
The winners of the annual awards, which recognize New York City’s most creative and significant retail deals, will be announced at the Retail Committee’s 18th Annual Retail Deal of the Year Cocktail Party on Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at Club 101 (101 Park Avenue).
REBNY will recognize winners for the top two deals completed in 2015: the Most Ingenious Retail Deal of the Year that demonstrates exceptional broker acumen (ingenuity and creativity), and the Most Significant Retail Deal of the Year that recognizes the most significant retail deal in its overall characteristics and importance to the New York City retail market.
“From culinarians and car dealerships to fashion and new shopping destinations, the deals submitted for the Retail Deal of the Year Awards attest to the dynamism of and diversity within New York City’s retail market,” said Andrew Mandell, managing partner of Ripco Real Estate and Chair of REBNY’s Retail Committee. “These transactions were no easy feat to arrange and we are impressed by the level of creativity and technical skill that our fellow brokers demonstrated in driving their negotiations.”
“As we kick off another highly competitive deal of the year contest, we reflect on the great obstacles our members overcame to produce the best solutions,” said John H. Banks, III, REBNY President. “We congratulate all the brokers on their noteworthy accomplishments and look forward to celebrating the 2015 winners at our event this June.”
The 13 retail deals submitted for the 2015 competition are:
• “Turning the Tide with Turnstyle” – Columbus Circle Subway Concourse – 1000 S. Eighth Avenue, New York, NY. Broker: Robin Abrams of The Lansco Corporation
• “Home Is Where the Food Is: Dean & DeLuca and 40 Wall Street Solve the Financial District’s Grocery Dilemma”. Brokers: Joanne Podell, Brandon L. Singer, Ian Lerner, and Jeffrey A. Lichtenberg of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
• “Leasing the Temple – Anthropologie at 195 Broadway”. Brokers: Alan Schmerzler and C. Bradley Mendelson of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
• “History Meets Innovation on 11th Avenue: Securing a New Dealership for Jaguar Land Rover Manhattan” – 787 11th Avenue, New York. Brokers: Neil Goldmacher and Brian Goldman of Newmark Grubb Knight Frank.
• “Knowing Your Track: How a 100,000-SF Nissan Requirement Revved Up to Double in Size at 787 11th Avenue”. Broker: Michael Kadosh of CBRE, Inc.
• “If at First You Don’t Succeed…The Victoria’s Secret Global Flagship Deal at 640 Fifth Avenue”. Broker: Richard B. Hodos of CBRE, Inc.
• “A Diamond in the Rough: 580 Fifth Avenue’s Five-Year Journey to a Retail Gem”. Brokers: Andrew Goldberg, Eric Gelber and Preston Cannon of CBRE, Inc.
• “If the Shoe Fits…”| Foot Locker’s Flagship Megastore at 8 Times Square”. Broker: Eric Gelber of CBRE, Inc.
• “A Giant in Times Square | The 48,000-sq.-ft. Gulliver’s Gate Lease at 229 West 43rd Street”. Brokers: Lon Rubackin and Gary Trock of CBRE, Inc.
• “From Rack to Riches – Fashioning a New Retail Destination” – 3 Columbus Circle, New York. Brokers: Jeff Winick, Kelly Gedinsky, and Michael Gleicher of Winick Realty Group LLC
• “JLL Brings Nordstom Flagship Campus to New York City After 30-Year Quest” – 3 Columbus Circle, 5 Columbus Circle, 1776 Broadway & 222 West 57th Street, New York. Brokers: Derek Trulson, Michael Shenot, and Bill Peters of JLL.
• “‘Brown Bagging’ is Now Chic on the Upper West Side” – 2085 Broadway, New York. Brokers: George Graf and Dan Gronich of Newmark Grubb Knight Frank.
• “DeKalb Market Hall; Downtown Brooklyn’s New Culinary Identity” – 445 Gold Street, Brooklyn. Broker: Laurence Roberts of Arch Brokerage LTD
Registration is required to attend the Retail Deal of the Year Cocktail Party on Tuesday, June 7, 2016 from 5:30-7:30pm at Club 101. Please visit www.rebny.com for more details.
Sponsors of the 18th Annual Retail Deal of the Year Awards Cocktail Party include: Cushman & Wakefield, Eastern Consolidated, Empire State Realty Trust, Jack Resnick & Sons, Inc., Manhattan Skyline, Ripco Real Estate, Rose Associates, Tishman Speyer, and Vornado Realty Trust.