Real Estate Weekly
Image default
Leases

Madison International Realty Signs Lidl for 35K SF At Queens Place Mall

 Madison International Realty announced that Lidl, voted a top 5 U.S. grocer by USA Today Readers’ Choice Awards for two years running, has signed a long-term lease for 35,000 square feet at Queens Place Mall in Elmhurst.  The grocery store will occupy the entire lower level of the 440,000-square-foot neighborhood mall. The new store is estimated to open in the first quarter of 2024.

“We are very excited to welcome Lidl, an internationally recognized grocery store operator, to our tenant roster and provide the community with what we believe is a new, convenient and affordable alternative for fresh food and grocery items. This latest addition to the mall continues our approach of bringing retailers that serve daily needs to our shopping centers and expanding our mix of retail offerings. We view the Lidl store as an integral addition to the services we offer to the neighborhood and to the families who shop at Queens Place,” said Ehud Kupperman, Director for Madison International Realty.

“On behalf of the oldest and largest business association in Queens, it is my pleasure to congratulate Madison International Realty on adding this globally-recognized company to their tenant roster, and Lidl on opening a second location in the ‘World’s Borough.’ This supermarket will seek to create quality job opportunities and provide an affordable place to buy groceries for residents of Elmhurst and the surrounding neighborhoods. We look forward to celebrating the opening in 2024 and shopping at the Queens Place Mall Lidl for years to come,” said Tom Grech, President and CEO of the Queens Chamber of Commerce.   

“Food Bank For New York City values and appreciates the dedication, commitment, and partnership Lidl places on community and supporting its neighbors, and we are pleased to see their continued growth and expansion across New York City,” said Janis Robinson, Food BankFor NYC’s Vice President of Institutions and Partnerships. “Opening a new location in the Elmhurst section of Queens will be a great addition to the neighborhood and we are excited for the possibilities and opportunities that lay ahead.”

“Lidl is well-known for its good-paying jobs, affordable prices, and its diverse, healthy and high-quality food offerings, so we are very excited that the company will be opening a second store here in Queens,“ said Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. “Lidl’s Astoria location has been a big hit with shoppers, and we are looking forward to the same kind of success as the company branches into Elmhurst in service of central Queens families.”

Lidl has been repeatedly recognized for its shopping experience, including by Food & Wine Magazine and USA Today Readers’ Choice Awards. The company offers a leading wages and benefits package, including healthcare for all full – and part-time employees, regardless of number of hours worked per week.

“We look forward to bringing a fresh, affordable and convenient grocery store to Queens Place and offering our customers in the area the best value every day,” said Or Raitses, Lidl US Sr. Real Estate Director. “We recognize that Lidl’s offering of fresh, high-quality products at low prices is more important than ever, and we look forward to continuing our expansion throughout New York City and serving even more customers in the area.”

Based in Arlington, Virginia, Lidl operates more than 170 stores on the East Coast, with 25 in New York state.  In the New York City area, Lidl currently has store locations in Staten Island, Harlem and Astoria, Queens.  The new store at Queens Place will replace DSW, whose lease is expiring in August. 

Madison International Realty was represented by Diana Boutross, Ian Lerner and Alan Schmerzler of Cushman & Wakefield. Lidl was represented by Kenneth Schuckman of Schuckman Realty.

Queens Place is part of a 2.5 million-square-foot, 15-property New York City retail portfolio that Madison acquired from Forest City Realty Trust.  The real estate private equity firm acquired a 49% stake in Queens Place in 2011 and purchased the remaining 51% in 2018.

(Visited 1 times, 3 visits today)

Related posts

GHP Office Realty Leases Nearly 15,000 Square Feet at Four West Red Oak Lane in White Plains, NY

REW

NAI Hanson and NAI Partners Negotiate Two Leases Covering 183,125 Square Feet at Houston Multimodal Industrial Park

REW

Bell Works Chicagoland Announces Heritage-Crystal Clean as Latest Office Tenant 39,000-SF Office Lease

REW