Real Estate Weekly
Image default
Deals & Dealmakers

HLZA celebrates keeping history intact

Howard L. Zimmerman Architects (HLZA) captured three awards in an annual design competition hosted by the New York Chapter of the Society of American Registered Architects (SARA) .

6 Harrison Street
6 Harrison Street

6 Harrison Street, 55 White Street and 40 Lispenard Street are all landmark buildings that were originally designed and built in the latter half of the 1800s.

They were recognized for excellence in the category Building Rehabilitation.
All three buildings underwent extensive façade, roof, window and precise exterior detail restoration work in varying degrees.

6 Harrison Street was the former New York Mercantile Exchange for almost one hundred years (1885-1977). Despite its significance, the structure was considered seriously at risk. Project efforts included the reinstatement of the 21 ft. tall flagpole spire in decorative copper and the restoration of the mansard roof and dormers.

Early occupants of 55 White Street were Samuel I. and Elliot Condict, who had a large saddlery here; in later year’s draper and textile firms tenanted the space.

The building originally had keystones crowning the tall arches, Corinthian capitals atop the columns, and decoratively faceted quoins on the pier at the corner of Church St. Archives.

55 White Street
55 White Street

To restore the building’s integrity, the majority of the cast iron elements were removed and restored and reinstalled upon completion. Missing elements were replaced to replicate the exact details of original lost elements. The entire façade was then coated to match the original color of the building.

40 Lispenard Street
40 Lispenard Street

40 Lispenard Street was erected in 1867. Historic photos and the cornice at the adjacent west building were used to prepare a fiberglass cast for a new decorative cornice to replicate the historic one in appearance.

The columns and Corinthian capitals were cleaned, stripped down to bare metal, then primed and painted.

In a statement, HLZ said, “The historic integrity of these buildings have thus been restored. When private owners choose to go over and above the requirements set for them on exterior renovations, they should be celebrated.

“The team’s belief in the historic importance of New York’s Historic Districts and restoring the architectural integrity of these landmark building led to the realization of these projects.

“They reclaim their historic heritage and street presence, standing amongst New York’s most beautiful buildings.”

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Related posts

JV to reactivate 76-acre former CA campus

REW

Lincoln Equites sells slice of NJ science campus to BeiGene

REW

BARK brand bites into 52,000 s/f at 120 Broadway

REW