The Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY) recognized top commercial property management professionals at its 12th Annual Commercial Management Leadership Breakfast at the Hilton New York.
John J. Miller, NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counterterrorism, gave a keynote speech that spotlighted the importance of the work that building management professionals do on a daily basis.
Drawing similarities between the work of law enforcement and managing New York City’s commercial real estate properties, Miller,discussed current topics in counterterrorism including technology such as body cameras, which are helping to exonerate officers from false claims, and the use of 20,000 hand-held smart phones, which is helping to put important safety information — photos of lost children, suspects and possible terror threats at home and abroad — into the hands of officers in real time.
Miller also acknowledged new training programs for officers that include learning to effectively diffuse tense situations, which demonstrates the partnership of law enforcement and the private sector, particularly the real estate industry. He noted that this partnership will go a long way toward winning the war on terror.
To acknowledge the efforts of Security Professional of the Year Award winner Sharon Faulkner, and the many safety and security professionals who, like her, are furthering New York’s efforts to win the war on terror, Miller presented Faulkner with the gold coin of the NYPD’s Intelligence Department.
Other exceptional leaders in the field of commercial property management honored for their excellence in property management were:
• John M. Griffin Community Service Award: William Dacunto, Silverstein Properties, Inc.
• On-Site Manager of the Year Award: Enzo Paternostro, Hines
• Corporate Management Executive of the Year Award: Michael Prunty, Empire State Realty Trust
• Small Building Engineer of the Year Award: James Hollywood, SL Green Realty Corp.
• Large Building Engineer of the Year Award: Richard Kromar, Boston Properties LP
• Security Professional of the Year Award: Sharon Faulkner, Paramount Group, Inc.
• Porter of the Year Award: Declan Cannon, The Durst Organization
• Rising Star of the Year Award: Daniel Ruanova, Vornado Realty Trust
• Best Engine Room Award: One Bryant Park, The Durst Organization
Edward A. Riguardi of Jones Lang LaSalle presented the Edward A Riguardi Commercial Management Executive of the Year Award to Gene Boniberger, senior vice president and director of Building Operations at Rudin Management Company, Inc. where he has served since 1977.
Boniberger is responsible for the day-to-day operation of Rudin’s commercial and residential portfolio as well as the MEP aspects of all new construction projects.
Additionally, he serves as a board member for Donate Eight, an affiliate of the New York Organ Donors Network, and on REBNY’s Management Division Board of Directors, Commercial Council, Residential Council and Sustainability Committee.
“Those honored have gone above and beyond in demonstrating the utmost dedication to the operations of their commercial properties as well as to our community,” said John Banks, REBNY President-elect.
“They comprise the foundation of our industry and we thank them for their invaluable service.”
For more on the work of the award winners, go to www.rew-online.com