Everything from a Long Island City bookstore to a mega food hall has been covered by this year’s competitors for the annual Real Estate Board of New York Retail Deal of the Year Awards.
The two winning deals–The Most Ingenious Retail Deal of the Year, which demonstrates exceptional broker acumen (ingenuity and creativity), and The Most Significant Retail Deal of the Year, which represents the most meaningful retail transaction in its overall characteristics and importance to the New York City retail market–will be announced at the REBNY Retail Committee’s 20th Annual Cocktail Party on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Club 101 (101 Park Avenue).
“The Retail Deal of the Year award winners will be honored for their demonstrated ingenuity and value in transacting deals across the shifting New York City retail landscape,” said John H. Banks, REBNY President. “We look forward to celebrating all of these talented brokers who exemplify the industry’s best through their work helping clients navigate and adapt to evolving consumer needs to secure successful real estate solutions.”
The 18 retail deal submissions for the 2017 competition are:– “Saluti! Cipriani’s First-Ever Food Hall Comes to Waterline Square, a Mega-Complex on the Upper West Side” – Two Waterline Square a.k.a. 400 West 61st Street. Broker: Mitchell N. Friedel of Newmark Knight Frank
– “Surviving a Twitter Storm – Genesis’ Unique Trip to the Meatpacking District” – 40 Tenth Avenue, New York. Brokers: Richard Nassimi and Michael Lohan of The Nassimi Group; Jared Epstein of Aurora Capital Associates
– “Iconic Space for the Next Generation” – 731 Lexington Avenue a.k.a. One Beacon Court. Broker: Paul Berkman, JLL
– “Peloton @ Manhattan West: Retail’s Next Ride…” – 5 Manhattan West. Brokers: Patrick Smith, Matthew Ogle, Corey Zolcinski, and Bob Gibson of JLL; Benjamin Birnbaum of Newmark Knight Frank
– “Princi, The Journey from Milan to Manhattan” – 1633 Broadway, New York, NY 10019. Brokers: David Firestein of The Shopping Center Group; Alan Schmerzler of Cushman & Wakefield
– “Bringing the ‘Shack-sperience’ to the West Village” – 225 Varick Street. Brokers: Mark Weiss and Mallika Winsor of Cushman & Wakefield
– “Iconic Brand, Iconic Style, Iconic Relocation in Times Square or Big Year for Levi’s Batwing in Times Square!!!” – 1535 Broadway, New York, NY. Broker: Laura Pomerantz of Cushman & Wakefield
– “A Toy Story 2.0 – How FAO Schwarz was relaunched to the Big Apple at Rockefeller Center” – 30 Rockefeller Center. Brokers: Kenji Ota and Neil Seth of Cushman & Wakefield
– “Book Culture Book Store” – 26-09 Jackson Avenue, Long Island City, NY. Broker: Stu Morden of Walker Malloy & Company
– “Redefining the Retail Landscape in New York’s Meatpacking District” – 46-48 Gansevoort Street, NY 10014. Brokers: Joel Isaacs, Joshua Lewin, and David Baker of Isaacs and Company, Inc.; Jared Epstein, Aurora Capital Associates
– “Hollywood comes to Eleven Times Square: The Blockbuster Evolution of Retail in Times Square” – Eleven Times Square. Brokers: Robert Futterman, Joshua Strauss, and Scott Zinovoy of RKF.
– “Old Navy Meets the Corner of 86th Street; A Tale of Perseverance, Triumph & Tragedy” – 147 East 86th Street (Lexington Avenue). Brokers: Andrew Mandell, Peter Ripka, and Richard Skulnik of Ripco Real Estate Corp.
– “1515 Broadway: Omni Channel Retailing in the Bricks-and-Mortar World” – 1515 Broadway. Broker: Ariel Schuster of RKF
– “Anchor This NoMad: Bringing Nordstrom Rack to 855 Avenue of the Americas” – 855 Avenue of the Americas. Brokers: Robert Futterman and Peter Whitenack, RKF
– “Three is the Charm – The RealReal at 80 Wooster” – 80 Wooster Street, New York, NY. Broker: Robin Abrams, Eastern Consolidated
– “Kith Solidifies its “footing” with RFR @ 337 Lafayette Street in Noho” – 337 Lafayette Street. Broker: Jordan Claffey, RFR Realty
– “A Food Lover’s Oasis in Starving Midtown East” – 570 Lexington Avenue. Brokers: Amira Yunis and Anthony Stanford of CBRE
– “365 by Whole Foods Market hits Flatbush Avenue – BAM!!!” – 300 Ashland Place, Brooklyn, NY 11217. Brokers: Jacqueline Klinger and Chase Welles of The Shopping Center Group
Registration is required to attend the 20th Annual Retail Deal of the Year Cocktail Party. Register online at rebny.com.