Con Edison this week welcomed participants from around the world and around the corner for Climate Week NYC 2019, which runs through Sept. 29.
This week and every week of the year, Con Edison promotes and encourages participation in programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase investments that can result in a clean energy future.
The programs and initiatives include:
• Challenging the federal easing of power plant carbon dioxide emission rules that would result in dirtier emissions.
• Doubling the level of gas energy efficiency over the next three years and ramping up electric energy efficiency investments to meet 2025 statewide targets.
• Protecting against the harsh effects of climate change by investing over $1 billion to fortify energy-delivery systems against more frequent, powerful storms, rising seas, and higher temperatures.
• Providing low- and moderate-income customers with the opportunity to access the benefits and savings of clean energy by installing solar panels on Con Edison properties.
• Providing customers with smart meters to help them make near-real-time, transparent decisions to reduce their usage.
• Encouraging drivers to consider whether electric vehicles are right for them. The company’s SmartCharge program rewards drivers who charge their vehicles during non-peak times.
Con Edison Inc. is the second largest producer of solar energy in North America. Since 2005, it has reduced its own carbon footprint by 49 percent and helped 675,000 customers participate in energy efficiency programs that prevented 5.5 million tons of carbon emissions, so far.